Friday, May 27, 2011

Asher's Report Card

Checking-in on my last blog, it was 1 year ago! How time flies?

What brought me back to blog again is because of my children. As a parent, I have to 'set a good example' for them to follow. Since I am hoping that they can pick up the habit of writing, I have to start from MYSELF. Hopefully, as I blog, they get to read it and start to blog like me someday.

Asher is in Pri 1 while Aron is in K2 this year. Yes, they have grown so much. Today, I attended the Parent-Teacher Meeting in Asher's school, Hong Wen School, a SAP school. I didn't know its a SAP school till Asher was confirmed a seat. I was a little panic at that moment of time, as I thought Asher would have to struggle with the higher Chinese education.

Today, I got a surprise. His report card actually shows that his Chinese results is actually better than his English results. Not that his English result is lower than expected, but like any other Kiasu parent, I started to wonder if I haven't focus enough on his English.

Overall, Asher has been doing well. According to the Chinese teacher, he is quiet, yet he is well liked by his classmates. As a monitor, he had done his job very well, very responsible and delivered whatever he was asked to do so. If only he could speak up more in class, he would have gotten better results. He has been a quiet boy since the first day he started school in nursery. But nowadays, teachers are looking for initiative, analysis & creativity. Those who can express more stand to score better.

So, from now on, I must think of ways to make him analyze deeper. I am glad he has picked up the hobby of reading English story books. I probably need to get him to express his thoughts about the stories.

Half a year into the primary school life. I am glad we have chosen the right school for Asher. Hong Wen has been emphasizing a lot on Chinese culture. Asher has enjoyed learning Chinese Calligraphy & learning how to play 'Mary had a Little Lamb' on Guzheng. He also claimed that he can do some simple rope skipping stunts which I haven't had a chance to see. I thankful that he is enjoying his school life.

As for Aron, I am meeting his teachers on the coming Monday. Let's see if I get another surprise.

No comments: