Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Feedback on Mooncakes

I am very thankful to those who have given me the feedback on my mooncakes... especially the very honest and the very professional feedbacks.

Before I forget these valuable words, I better note it down, so that I can refer back the next time I make mooncakes.

Lynda:
  1. Snow skin is too oily. Maybe I added too much shortening fat. Yes I agreed, especially when it is eating at room temperature. If it is eating chilled, its not so bad. Think I better use my teacher's recipe the next time, instead of using the pre-mix recipe.

Alice:
  1. The skin of the traditional mooncake is slightly hard and uneven, some parts are thicker than the other parts.
  2. The snow skin is a little too hard, it doesn't blend in very nicely with the paste. After trying the snow skin mooncake from Tung Lok, I understand what she meant. One thing nice to note is the paste they used - red bean paste with champagne chocolate substitute as egg yolk. I like that combination, should try the next time.

Neighbour (Auntie ??? , must ask for her name next time I see her):

  1. Not enough melon seeds in the paste. She likes more melon seeds.
  2. Skin is ok. Paste not too sweet, just right.

Betty (my facial lady):

  1. Skin too hard - I might have kneaded the dough too long, or my hands are too warm and it affects the temperature on the dough. Yes, I am too afraid that the dough is not mixed well enough.
  2. Colour not even - My egg yolk coating is too concentrated, I must add more egg white or milk. It could also due to the uneven temperature in the oven, maybe I can try turning the tray.
  3. White Lotus Paste is good.
  4. Pandan Paste - no standard. Want to DIY, must use fresh pandan leaves and coconut juice. I can do more research on that.

Hubby:

  1. Think its nice enough for a start, no much negative feedback. But he suggested that I can try creating some unique paste next time, so that I can give people some surprise.

Something I have forgotten to mention to the others on the traditional mooncake - the skin is hard on the 1st day of the baking, but it will be soften on the 2nd or 3rd day, and it will taste better by then.

No comments: