Friday, November 20, 2009

Value of a Wheelchair

Have been sending mum for medical check-ups and scans very often these days. Well, old age comes with lots of health problem. She has weak heart, weak lung, multiple blockages in the main arteries, as well as in both legs. As she is almost reaching 80, she seem to have more difficulty moving around these days. Just with about 10 steps, she starts to feel breathless.

I suggested to get a wheelchair for her, so that its easier for her to go out. For the last few years, she objected to even carrying a walking stick. But now, she agreed with my suggestion. I remember in the last days of my Dad, his family bought him a wheelchair. So I checked with my niece if they still keep it. I am prepared to buy over, but they are kind enough to lend to us, only on a request to return it to them when we no longer need it. Fair enough. In fact, its good deal, as I don't need to spend a few hundred dollars to get a new one and this wheelchair somehow has
some sentimental value as my dad had used it before.

Hubby didn't think its a nice idea to borrow the wheelchair from my dad's family. He felt that it may become a white elephant as we may not use it so often. What if we damage the wheelchair, it will be more "pai say" for us.

To me I see a lot more value in this wheelchair, more than the value of having it as white elephant, more than my face value. Not just the sentimental value which connects to my dad. If I could just use it for once or twice, to bring my mum out for shopping or a meal, I think I have utilise it all.

Dad passed away on 29 Jan 2007, I still missed him a lot. At times I felt remorseful of not spending enough time with him. It has become my greatest regrets for him. Its too painful that I don't want this feeling to come back when its time for my mum to leave.

No matter how much problem she has given me, no mater how much conflicts we have, no matter how others see her as the most difficult woman, I still want to give her the best of time she has left. Cos I really don't want to regret one more time.

Mum has been staying at home most of the time when the rest of my family goes out for meals or shopping on weekends. She refused to join us as she can't walk much. With the wheelchair, I hope it will motivate her to come out more often with us. I am most willing to push her around.

No comments: